In response to the recent transportation fee increase for alternative programs announced by both Edmonton Catholic and Edmonton Public Schools, the Calgary Board of Education, Calgary Catholic School District, and Rocky View Schools, CPF Alberta has begun the advocacy process to demand a review and modification of the fee structure in order to ensure a single transportation fee for all students, regardless of program.
To date, we have:
- Been in contact with members of the Ministry of Education via telephone as well as with a MLA.
- Sent representatives to the two parent information sessions held by the Calgary Board of Education on May 24th and 25th, respectively.
- Staff and Chapter representatives have attended one school council meeting in Calgary.
- Sent out media releases and given interviews with several news outlets including Radio Canada.
- Emails were sent out to all CPF Alberta chapters, encouraging them to contact their school division to confirm 2017/18 transportation fees and policy.
- CPF Alberta has sent letters and emails to MLAs and trustees.
- Letter writing/ emailing/ phone call campaign by parents was initiated to contact school board trustees. An email template was also sent to CPF members that they could personalize, share, and send to their trustees.
- A social media campaign (Facebook and Twitter) was undertaken to get the word out and engage parents and those concerned by the fee increase.
We have seen a small victory in that students whose designated school happens to have French Immersion pay the subsidized transportation rate. Moving forward, we continue to provide support to individuals concerned by the fee increase.